Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Total Recall

Total Recall
I have been poring over the last three issues of the MUFON e-Journal, partially to see what I have missed and partially to see if they are hiding something from me (why else would they stop sending it to me, a dues-paying member?).

I don't know if there's a connection, but in his November column, International Director Clifford Clift drops a bomb that should set the UFO research world on its ear but probably won't. In his column, Mr. Clift mentions that the number of UFO sighting reports his organization gets has skyrocketed in recent months, and he wonders whether increased media coverage of UFO phenomenon has led to the increase in reports. It's an interesting question to consider, and I have commented on it before ("The August Flap," 10/16/11). But that's not what interests me about the comments in the November column. What interests me is this comment by Mr. Clift: It is perhaps significant that 75 percent of the August and September sighting reports above the 500 per-month average are old sightings from the 1960s to the 1990s. This raises the question of why people are just now reporting the events."

That means that in August and September of this year, MUFON received approximately 500 reports of UFO sightings and encounters that took place between 11 and 51 years ago. Now, there are two reasons I can think of for someone to wait that long to report a UFO sighting: they chose not to tell anyone, or they forgot it happened (and you regular readers will know that by "forgot it happened," I mean "were made to forget it happened"). But what reasons could there be for 500 people to suddenly remember their experience and/or get up the gumption to talk about it all at pretty much the same time? Why is it suddenly safe to talk?

Did they all get a signal? A signal from deep space perhaps, or from deep within a hollowed-out mesa in New Mexico? Had they all been talking amongst themselves for the past 11 to 51 years and all decided now was the time? Had they all gone to see "Super 8" over the 4th of July weekend? Had they all started reading this blog? Should I mention that "I was born in 1960", the year this mass memory block first appeared?

I also wonder about this: now that they've remembered, what are they going to do about it?

Two new tasks lie before me. First, I need to look through these reports to see if the numbers have continued to increase through October and November (my prediction: they have, and if they haven't I will disregard them), and second, I need to see if any of the reports detail why the report is just now coming to light, and look for patterns. Frankly, I wish MUFON would do this for me, but I am not yet at a point where I can get them to my bidding.

I should mention that my wife Mxxxxx is away for the weekend, otherwise I would be planning Christmas or something.

Credit: ovni-news.blogspot.com