Monday, November 22, 2010

I Definitely Saw A Ufo Maybe I Think I Saw Something

I Definitely Saw A Ufo Maybe I Think I Saw Something
It was the late 1960's, early 1970, can't remember the exact date but I was probably 5 or 6 years old. I was sitting on my grandmothers back steps; she lived right next to our house on Long Island. Afternoon, sunny, nice day as I picture it. I can remember looking up and right above the trees, there was a row of pine trees lining the yard, there was something hovering there; big, gray, metallic looking, round disc like object. On the bottom of it was a ring of fin like projections, going around in a circle. It hovered and then moved slowly away from me, maintaining its altitude. The tops of the trees were swaying as it moved above them. There was no sound that I can remember. It started to moved off but I don't remember anything else past that. I was very young and it has been too many years now. I have thought about that moment many times since then. I remember years later drawing the object for my brother as we discussed what it could have been. And now, I don't know if it was real or imagined. It is very vague in my memory but there's something there. We lived close to the Grumman plant in Calverton, and over the years I have speculated that it was some kind of experimental aircraft. Grumman developed many of the military's fighter aircraft, along with being a major contractor on the Apollo Lunar Module. But, would they fly an experimental craft over civilian airspace? Probably not... What I saw was literally a UFO, unidentified flying object. That doesn't mean it was extraterrestrial, interdimensional, or a time traveling ship. It just means I can't identify what it was. Or, honestly at this point, if it even existed. Many UFO's are misidentified commonplace things, aircraft, astronomical bodies, natural occurrences...and can be identified with enough research and investigation. In 1910 a mysterious airship was seen moving in the skies over east Tennessee. Many people saw it and even "heard" the engines of the craft. It turned out to be a hoax perpetrated by a local group of men that had released a large gas filled balloon that had been ignited and set adrift. In 1966, many people in the northern U.S. witnessed a large UFO, bright and clear like a full moon. It increased in size and then slowly became a column as it disappeared. People, even pilots, thought this object had landed and then taken off again. It turned out to be the release of barium from a sounding rocket fired by Canadian scientists. With adequate investigation, many sightings of strange phenomena can be explained. We have to be careful not to jump to conclusions without the proper research. I have found that there are a lot of "believers" in this field of study. People that will assume it is extraterrestrial, interdimensional, or whatever, without the proper investigation. Anyone researching this phenomenon must develop proper scientific method, and not assume anything. Too many times I have seen "ufologists" look at an event and say "it wasn't a plane and it wasn't a meteorite so it must be an extraterrestrial scout ship"....WHAT!?Realizing that that was a bit if an exaggeration, you get the point. Skepticism is healthy and necessary when studying unusual phenomenon. I still can't say what it was I saw in the skies above my grandmother's house that day. However, I can say that it is still unidentified, still unusual, and still in my thoughts. I will probably never know what it was, if anything, but not knowing and trying to figure it out is the fun part. Truth is if I ever do find out what it was, I might be disappointed.

Credit: unexplored-earth.blogspot.com